Most of us when dating have had our fair share of both good and bad experiences when meeting someone new for the first time. Sometimes a date will go very smoothly, and other times will have both you and your date either staring at each other in boredom or even one of you running out the door. Learning these top 10 first time date mistakes will help you know what to avoid.
1. Choosing the Wrong Place:The atmosphere is the most important element to the first date. If you choose a loud, noisy bar chances are your date and you will not be able to talk about too much. Movies are also bad first date choices, since they don’t really give you or your date a chance to really talk or get to know one another better. You may also want to steer clear of places you have never been to before, since you don’t know what to expect in terms of service or price.2. Talking Too Much About Yourself:There should be an equal exchange of dialogue between the two of you. If you find yourself talking more than the other person, you can simply change the direction of the conversation by saying “So what about you?”
3. Digging Up Past Relationships: There is no need to swap dating history or talk about the past relationships that have gone wrong. Bringing up your ex might signal to the other person that you’re not really ready to move on.
4. Expecting Too Much: Often times if you put expectations on your first time together with the other person it can result to a lot of unnecessary pressure on one another. Approaching the first date with a casual attitude, as if just meeting up with a friend, can help reduce any nervousness or anxiety.
5. Drinking Too Much Alcohol: Getting drunk is not going to leave a good first impression, and it won’t be very much fun if you can’t remember the things you talk about or do together. It can also lower your inhibitions which can put you at risk for getting into dangerous situations or doing things you might regret when sober. Limit yourself to one drink max, if you must drink at all.
6. Being Something You’re Not: It’s important to be yourself and be honest. Making up stories or stretching the truth will cause problems later down the road if you end up being together seriously. While you certainly don’t need to divulge all the details on every single thing, make sure you don’t flat out lie either.
7. Forgetting Basic Manners: Basic manners include saying Please, Thank You, and not eating with your mouth open. Holding doors open, being considerate, and other things all help leave a positive impression on someone.
8. Making it Too Long: Because you do not know how things will go, or if you even will like one another, plan it so your date can go on for 15 minutes or 2 hours. This helps make it easier to end it short if need be.
9. Talking About Taboo Topics: Things like religion, politics, or anything else that you feel very strongly about can all open up a can of worms that can leave both you and your date upset. While you’ll want to discuss some of those things eventually if you’re looking for a long term relationship – save the taboo and touchy subjects for another time.
10. Rushing Into Sex: Unless you both have the same objective for a one night stand, in general it is better to leave getting to know each other sexually or physically for another time as well.
By avoiding these common mistakes the first time you go out with someone, you’ll hopefully be able to have an enjoyable time with one another – and if the chemistry is right see each other again.
The Biggest Mistakes People Make On A First Date
Going on a first date is a lot like a mission to the moon. You’re never sure what to expect. But dating should not be as scary as venturing into the cosmic abyss and if you follow five carnal rules you can make you’re first date as stress free as a simulated rocket ride.
1. No Movies
How can you possibly get to know someone while sitting in the dark in a crowded room all while intensely focusing on the story being played out on the screen in front of you? You might as well sit next to any random person. Movies are not a first date option so avoid it like you would a tick-infested forest.
2. Never Reveal The Whole Book
Every first date should be like cracking open a new book. There should be anticipation to read the first few chapters and become part of the story. However never make the mistake of giving away the end of the book to soon. You want some cliffhangers and a pinch of foreshadowing to keep your date interested and hungry for more.
3. Don’t Play The Narcissistic Card
So your great and fabulous and all that kind of stuff, it does not mean that you should spend hours bragging about it. If you show up for a first date with a hard on and a button on your shirt that says, “I’m number one,” you clearly will end up with nothing more than a deflated ego.
4. Don’t Be An Archeologist
Focusing on all things in the past is a great job for an Archeologist but a horrible way to start a first date. Trust me she is not interested in your ex-wife, last girlfriend or the woman you took to prom. Focus on making history not talking about it. So unless your ex has bone-crushing teeth, a frame the size of a jet liner, and a brain the size of a pea, I suggest you stick with the present and let the dinosaurs cover the past.
5. No Texting
Keep your phone in your pocket and your fingers free. Nothing ruins a first date faster than a jerk who can’t set down his phone. You are out to meet a new person and get to know them, so how is that going to be possible if you are distracted by simple technology? I don’t care if you keep it on vibrate but just keep it away.
- when is it appropriate talk about past relationships on a date?